The Story of the Swan House
M c C o n n e l l - B u t l e r H o u s e
2 2 5 W e s t S a n d u s k y S t r e e t
The McConnell-Butler House was built in 1864 to be the home of William and Caroline McConnell. Mr. McConnell owned the Eagle Flour Mills which stood on the east back of Eagle Creek on East Sandusky Street (and was later the Kirk Mills).
The style of the house, known as a Bracketed Italianiate, was extremely popular during the Civil War era, and was the elite's preference in residential design during that period. The front elevation presents a strong centralized theme keying in on the main entrance. Symmetry dominates the window and the cornice bracket placement, each being equal in size and shape. This house has an uncommon five sets of windows across the front as opposed to three. Each window is crowned with an arch-shaped molding. The highly ornate porch roof proudly announces the entry whiteout the need for columns.
The McConnell lived here until their move to Toledo in 1880. The house was then purchased by Peter and Susanna Hosler. Mr. Hoseler was president of City Banking Company. The Hosler's had twelve children. Their son David, became owner following his father's death in 1897, and apparently lived in the house with his two sons, Merle and Lawrence. Merle Hosler acquired the house from his father.
During 1929-30, a Miss Foresman operated a tea room in the property, and the from 1933 to 1951, Dr. E.E. Rakestraw turned the house into his medical office with apartments upstairs. Clair Huber then purchased the house for an investment property, and it housed a beauty shop and seven apartments.
In 1998, Rindy Creates, Kay Kose, and Vicki Powell purchased the property and spent six months restoring it. The lowered first floor ceiling was restored to its original height, the original front entrance was discovered, as were the original interior shutters. Following the \restoration, it was opened as the Swan House, a tea room and gift shop. Beverly Robb purchased the building and operated the tea room until the spring of 2015 when it was sold to Kimberly Butler who has reopened it as the Swan House Tea Room it is today.